Two children shot in Chicago in separate incidents, one fatally

Two children were shot in Chicago in separate incidents, including a 9-year-old boy who was playing with a gun when it accidentally fired and killed him, police said.

The boy, identified in reports as Ashton Lipscomb, was rushed to a hospital in critical condition after the Wednesday afternoon shooting in a residence in the city’s North Austin section. He was later pronounced dead and an investigation remained ongoing early Thursday, police told The Post.

The boy’s 13-year-old brother, meanwhile, told cops Ashton was accidentally shot in the back of the head by a 5-year-old sibling who found the gun in a bedroom of the family’s apartment, the Chicago Tribune reported.

The 13-year-old led officers to a second-floor bedroom, where three guns were found, police said. One of the weapons was a revolver that had a spent shell casing in its cylinder, the newspaper reports.

Ashton’s father told investigators he was picking up his wife from a hospital at the time of the shooting. It’s unclear if any adults were supervising the children at the time, police told the Tribune.

Investigators said state child welfare officials were notified amid the ongoing investigation, according to the report.

Kellie Bartoli, a Chicago police spokeswoman, said the department could not confirm the Tribune’s report that Ashton was shot by a younger sibling when reached for comment Thursday.

“The investigation is still ongoing at this time,” Bartoli wrote The Post in an email.

A 10-year-old girl was also shot in the back late Wednesday at a park in the city’s Far South Side, police said.

The girl, who was not immediately identified, was with a group of friends when a gunman approached the group and opened fire.

She was rushed to a hospital in serious condition, police said, adding that no arrests had been made as of early Thursday.

At least 14 people were shot throughout the Windy City Wednesday, including an 18-year-old man killed during a drive-by shooting in an East Side neighborhood and a 30-year-old man who died after being wounded on the South Side, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.