Entertainment

Sonu Sood Illegal Construction Row: Actor Moves Supreme Court After Bombay HC Rejects His Plea Against BMC Notice

Police Complaint Filed Against Sonu Sood By BMC For Allegedly Converting Residential Building In Juhu Into A Hotel Without Required Permissions

Bollywood actor Sonu Sood has moved the Supreme Court challenging Bombay High Court order rejecting his plea to quash or grant interim relief against a BMC notice over alleged illegal construction at his Juhu residential complex in Mumbai. On January 21, high court judge Justice Prithviraj Chavan dismissed Sood’s plea, saying law helps only those who are diligent. Sonu Sood Illegal Construction Row: Bombay High Court Rejects Actor’s Plea Against BMC Notice

Advocate Vineet Dhanda, representing Sood, said his client has challenged the High Court order in the Supreme Court. “Key grounds to challenge the High Court order are that it was projected by BMC that he is not the owner of the property. Though, he has been issued notice as an owner and occupier,” added Dhanda. Sonu Sood: I Could Do Everything Because I Wasn’t Associated with a Political Party

Commenting on the case, Dhanda added that this is an attempt to tarnish his image, and no permission was required to carry out alterations inside the building. “Some harsh terms have been used against his client that he is a habitual offender. This is too harsh on him and his image is being tarnished,” he added.

Dhanda insisted that his client is an ideal citizen who had carried many welfare activities, especially during the pandemic, in the past. In Mumbai, Sood’s lawyer had sought 10 weeks to comply with the notice issued by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) in October last year, and urged the High Court to direct the civic body not to begin demolition action.

The High Court told Sood’s lawyer that he can approach the civic body and declined to pass any direction. “The ball is now in the office of the BMC…you (Sonu Sood) may approach them,” Justice Chavan said. Earlier this month, Sood had moved the High Court against an order of a city civil court at Dindoshi, which dismissed his suit against the BMC’s notice. This notice was issued in connection with the alleged illegal construction.

In the plea, Sood had claimed he had not carried out any illegal or unauthorised construction in the building. According to BMC, Sood had carried out structural changes in the six-storey residential building ‘Shakti Sagar’. It was alleged that he had converted this building into a hotel without taking requisite permissions.

(The above story first appeared on Report Door on Jan 22, 2021 03:45 PM IST. For more news and updates on politics, world, sports, entertainment and lifestyle, log on to our website reportdoor.com).

} });

About the author

Avatar

Gary James

Gary James is an entertainment news media professional with a strong experience in online journalism, content management, and social media. Gary's strength includes the sound knowledge of entertainment industry and thus he detects potential trend worthy subjects related to entertainment industry.

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *