Connect with us

US

Report: Former Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson Used Military Planes for Personal Travel at least 15 times

Michael Leahy

Published

on

Report- Former Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson Used Military Planes for Personal Travel at least 15 times

A watchdog group has estimated that Rex Tillerson, the former Secretary of State spent over $1 million in taxpayer dollars to fly around the country in “military jets” during his time in office. This included occasional personal trips as well. American Oversight, a nonpartisan watchdog group, got documents that indicate Tillerson used military jets at least 15 times during his 14 months tenure in office. He reportedly flew to Colorado, Texas,  Montana, and West Virginia. Five of the trips were labeled as “personal travel” in the State Department memos. The documents do not provide a reason for another 10 trips that he took on military jets.

Heather Nauert, the State Department spokeswoman defended Tillerson’s jet use. She claimed that the secretary of state must be protected by a security detail and have communications access at all times. She told HuffPost that when utilizing DOD aircraft for personal travel, all Secretaries of State reimburse the government at the rate required by the law.

Tillerson could not be reached for comment.

The former Environmental Protection Agency administrator Scott Pruitt, and Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke have also reportedly used military aircraft for personal travel.

Michael Leahy has worked in various news organizations and now aims to make Report Door one of the best and fastest growing news websites in the U.S. He contributes to the US section. He loves going around different people in the US and loves meeting new people and making new friends.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

US

MTV goes dark, record labels hit pause as U.S. protests rage

Michael Leahy

Published

on

Music industry hits pause to reflect as U.S. protests rage

FILE PHOTO: Passengers in car cheer as protestors rally against the death in Minneapolis police custody of George Floyd, beneath a billboard with his name on it, in Boston, Massachusetts, U.S., May 31, 2020. Picture taken May 31, 2020. REUTERS/Brian Snyder/File Photo

(Reuters) – Youth television channel MTV and other stablem ate channels said they will go dark around the world on Monday to mark the death in police custody of George Floyd, joining other U.S. entertainment outlets in condemning racial inequality.

MTV will be joined by its other ViacomCBS youth and music channels, including Comedy Central, CMT, and VH1, at 5 p.m. ET (2100 GMT) in an eight minute, 46 second blackout – the length of time they said that a white Minneapolis police officer last week knelt on the neck of Floyd, a black man.

Floyd’s death has prompted mass protests in cities around the United States decrying the treatment of black Americans, polarizing the country politically and racially.

“We are seeing the tragic impact of discrimination affect our community in a myriad of ways – including the disproportionate number of people of color who have been impacted by COVID-19 – another life or death fight for our breath,” Chris McCarthy, president of entertainment and youth brands at ViacomCBS domestic networks, said in an internal note to staff that was seen by Reuters.

The TV networks will also provide a call to action encouraging audiences to link up with racial justice organization Color of Change.

The move by MTV follows calls by leading record labels to suspend business, delay new music releases, and pledge support for racial justice organizations in the wake of Floyd’s death.

Warner Music Group, Universal Music, Sony Music and other record labels have issued pledges and support for the ‘Black Out Tuesday’ initiative.

Multiple musicians, including Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Billie Eilish, Rihanna, Ariana Grande and Jay-Z have spoken out in response to the death and subsequent demonstrations, some of which have turned violent.

“We’re broken and we’re disgusted… If you are white, black, brown or anything in between I am sure you feel (left) hopeless by the racism going on in America right now,” Beyonce posted in an Instagram video.

Reporting by Jill Serjeant, Mike Davidson and Mike Collett-White; Writing by Mike Collett-White; Editing by Angus MacSwan and Rosalba O’Brien

Continue Reading

US

Sweden to launch coronavirus probe after refusing to lock down

Michael Leahy

Published

on

Sweden to launch coronavirus probe after refusing to lock down

Sweden will launch a probe into the country’s handling of the coronavirus after controversially refusing lockdown measures, its prime minister announced Monday.

Prime Minister Stefan Lofven said a commission would be appointed before the end of summer to look back at the decision to keep most schools, restaurants and businesses open after the virus reached the nation.

“We need to take an overall approach to see how it has worked at national, regional and local levels,” Lofven told Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet. “We will make a decision for a commission before the summer.”

The Scandinavian country has received criticism for taking a more lax approach in battling the virus, often relying on residents to self-regulate.

Through some parts of May, Sweden had the highest number of COVID-19 deaths in Europe relative to the size of its population.

More than 4,000 Swedes have died during the pandemic — a per capita rate many times higher than in other Nordic countries, all of which implemented tighter restrictions.

With Post wires

Continue Reading

US

Man sues airlines for not refunding coronavirus-canceled flights

Michael Leahy

Published

on

Man sues airlines for not refunding coronavirus-canceled flights

An NYC man is suing Delta Airlines and British Airways for $16,000 — demanding refunds for two flights that were canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic, new court papers show.

Steven Schiesel says he bought himself and his wife a pair of one-way tickets for himself and wife Elaine to fly from New York City to Tenerife, Spain via Delta on April 14. But they were unable to go as both the US and Spain were under lock down at the time, a Manhattan Supreme Court lawsuit from Saturday says.

Schiesel bought the Delta tickets on January 24 for $5,543 each and he requested a full refund prior to the flight, the court papers say.

And he also booked a second one-way flight for the pair from Portugal back to the Big Apple on May 2 from British Airways for $5,952, which he also asked for a refund for ahead of the flight, the court filings say.

But both airlines, “failed and refused to provide plaintiff with a full cash refund, and offered plaintiff a voucher to be used on another flight in the future, for which plaintiff had no use,” the court documents charge.

The suit says this goes against British government, US government and US Department of Transportation rules “requiring  airlines to provide full cash refunds to passengers who purchased plane tickets on flights affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Schiesel is suing for breach of contract.

In April, a Minnesota cop filed a similar lawsuit against United Airlines for a refund of a canceled South Carolina trip scheduled for April 4.

Delta and British Airways did not immediately return a request for comment.

Continue Reading

Trending