Sports betting is a sure-fire way to triple the excitement of watching live sport. Recently, thanks to a change in federal law, states could choose whether they wanted to legalize sports betting. For states like New Jersey and many others, the choice was simple. It’s now been two years since New Jersey legalized online sports betting, and while there are still restrictions in place, it’s easier than ever to place bets online in NJ.
If you’re new to sports betting or aren’t sure how to place bets online, this guide should explain the key details for you. Sites like NJBetting.com help to provide sports bettors with information about the best betting sites and how to use them. In this guide, we’ll be giving you tips on how to get started and the restrictions to watch out for.
Placing Bets Online
Before you get started, you’ll want to know exactly how to place bets. It’s fairly simple, especially if you follow these steps:
- Choose the right sportsbook for you – Make sure you pick a betting site that’s licensed by the Division of Gaming Enforcement for the State of New Jersey. Also, check that the site has the kind of markets you like to bet on.
- Sign up – Once you’ve found your ideal sportsbook, sign up. Be sure to enter all your details correctly when creating your account.
- Claim your welcome offer – Most New Jersey online sportsbooks offer a special bonus to new players. Read through the terms and follow the instructionsto claim.
- Make a deposit – You’ll need to make a deposit before you can place any bet, and you’ll often need to deposit before you can claim your bonus too. Choose from the accepted payment methods.
- Choose your sport and place your bet – Look through the available sports and markets to find something that you like the look of. Remember to check the odds at other sportsbooks to see if you can find a better deal.
Online Sports Betting Restrictions in New Jersey
Before you place any bets, you should familiarise yourself with the rules of betting. Online betting may be legalized, but there are still restrictions in place.
- You must be 21 or over – To place bets at any online sportsbook in New Jersey, you’ll need to be at least 21 years old. Sites will verify your ID, so if you lie about your age, you risk your account being closed, and you could lose your money.
- College sports are off-limits – The state of New Jersey forbids any online bets on college sports, so you won’t be able to bet on any college games. There are still plenty of other sports you can bet on, though.
- You don’t need to be a resident of New Jersey – You can use any New Jersey sportsbook provided you’re currently in the state. All sites use geolocation services to detect where you are. If you’re outside the state, you can’t place any bets.