Coronavirus wreaks tricks and treating on NYC Halloween

The coronavirus pandemic is wreaking havoc on Halloween in the Big Apple, not only scuttling the beloved Greenwich Village parade, but ruining other longstanding traditions — and scaring many parents into keeping trick-or-treaters at home.

Hells Kitchen’s 1,600-ghoul “Monster Ball,” the city’s biggest Halloween party, is canceled, given the 25-percent capacity limit.

“It’s not worth our while at 25 percent,” organizer Debbie Medina said of what would have been the sixth annual costume contest and ball.

“It’s up to the governor — we would consider it for 50 percent,” she added.

At the city’s biggest, oldest haunted house — “Blood Manor” at Broadway and Franklin Street — the show will still go on.

But its usual long run, which last year attracted a million frightened-stiff attendees, will be shortened to Oct. 9 through the first week of November.

And the typical in-your-face zombies will be socially distanced.

“Back in the day, they would be spewing and spitting blood at people, but obviously they won’t be able to do that now,” lamented spokeswoman Leslie Taylor.

“The blood is fake, obviously,” she added.

The city has issued no official thumbs up or down on trick-or-treating — unlike in Los Angeles, where county politicians on Wednesday first banned the door-to-door tradition, and then later reversed themselves somewhat, saying it’s “not recommended” for health safety reasons.

“We’ll have an announcement on this soon, stay tuned,” a City Hall spokesman told The Post.

“Nothing to report today.”

But many city parents aren’t waiting for an official edict — they’re banning outside trick-or-treating on their own.

Em Hynes, 40, of NoHo, said she’ll bring her daughter, 6, and son, 9, to a friend’s brownstone for a small Halloween get-together.

“It’s super-safe — and nice,” she said.

“We usually watch the beginning of the parade as well. Kind of sad it’s canceled,” she added.

“The parade makes Halloween feel like Halloween in the city. We need to figure out a new game plan this year.”

A stay-at-home Bronx mom who gave only her first name, Zora, said her three-year-old girl’s scaled-back Halloween will consist of last year’s Elmo costume and a mommy-daughter playdate — at home.

“With COVID-19, I’m not taking any chances,” she said. “We’re not going anywhere. We’re not opening the door to anyone.”

“It’s a shame but you gotta do what you gotta do to be safe.”

Jacqueline Mitchell, 54, and granddaughter Keilah Seebrooks, 13, were among the families concocting safe trick-or-treat alternative plans Wednesday.

In their case, all candy will now be dispensed among family only, and from a giant cardboard “house” — in their Bronx living room.

“You knock on the door and somebody comes out and gives you candy,” Keilah said of tricking and treating, COVID-style.

“Now I’m happy,” said the girl, who had balked at first when her grandmother said, “No, you are not going trick-or-treating this year.”

Keilah said she’ll attend wearing “a puffy tutu.”

Additional reporting by Julia Marsh