CNN anchor Chris Cuomo has been caught on a secretly recorded conversation denying rumors of sexual misconduct during a conversation with President Trump’s former fixer Michael Cohen, according to reports.
In the recording, obtained by Fox News host Tucker Carlson, the two men are purportedly heard discussing how journalists have asked ABC — Cuomo’s former employer — if women have made allegations against him, according to the Washington Examiner.
In the recording, Cuomo is allegedly heard saying: “You know, I’m always careful when I talk to media. Do you know how many f— phone calls I’ve gotten from people at ABC who say that reporters are calling and lying about things they’ve heard about me, to try to get stories about me when I was at ABC?”
He adds: “Guys calling and saying, ‘I heard he was the Charlie Rose of ABC. He used to invite women to a hotel and open his bathrobe.’ Do I look like the kind of f— guy who’s gotta do that?”
“Sure, why not?” Cohen allegedly replies.
CBS fired Rose in late 2017 amid sexual misconduct allegations, including claims that he would walk around naked in front of his female staff.
In the recording played Tuesday, Cuomo also is allegedly heard impersonating someone asking him about the rumors.
“‘I have a good source that says he forced one woman to have sex. I just want to know if you’ve ever heard anything like that?’” he says. “There is no woman!”
Cuomo continues: “Women who do work there saying, ‘Oh yeah, you know, some of these men,’ naming me with other guys, ‘you know, we bumped into each other once in the elevator, and he put his hand on my shoulder, and he made me really uncomfortable.’”
He adds: “I mean, what the f—! It’s a problem. And now … I’m careful with the media, always. I’ve always told you: The media is not your friend.”
The president on Wednesday responded to the recording by calling on CNN to fire Cuomo.
“Will Fredo be fired by Fake News @CNN?” Trump asked on Twitter, referring to Cuomo using the name of Fredo Corleone, the ineffectual middle son character in “The Godfather.”
“He speaks with great disrespect about women, and it will only get worse. Fredo’s Ratings are bad, so this is the time. Always terrible to speak to sleazebags, especially when you are being recorded. CNN has no choice, Fredo must go!” he added.
Cohen also reacted on Twitter to the recording shared by Carlson.
“The only people in possession of these recordings are me, @DOJ, @POTUS & Trump Org. I did not give this recording or authorization for its use to @FoxNews or anyone,” he wrote.
“@POTUSand cronies violated my First amendment rights and now this; all to discredit me and my book. What’s next?” Cohen added, along with an image of his much-hyped, tell-all book about the president.
Trump’s former personal attorney was photographed by The Post dining out near his Upper East Side apartment in early July while released from prison on furlough because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Under an agreement reached with the Bureau of Prisons, Cohen — who pleaded guilty to tax evasion and campaign finance violations — was allowed to write his book during his home confinement.
Cuomo joined CNN in 2013 after spending 13 years at ABC, where he was a co-anchor on “Good Morning America” and co-hosted 20/20. He and his wife, journalist Cristina Greeven Cuomo, have three children.
Last week, Carlson told his viewers that he planned to share details of a conversation on his show, according to the Examiner.
He said his staff sent a copy of the recording and a number of questions about it to Matt Dornic, CNN’s head of strategic communications, and “that kid who’s got the media show on the weekends,” an apparent reference to the network’s chief media correspondent Brian Stelter.
On his show Tuesday, Carlson said neither of them had responded.
The Post has reached out to Cuomo.